Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Try It Tuesday: Basket Weave Loom Knit Hat



I was so excited with how this hat turned out. This is a gift that I made for my dad. The yarn I used was Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in the color Barley (how appropriate for my farmer father - LOL!) The skein has 106 yds in it and I would guess I used about 3/4 of the skein. I made this on the yellow knifty knitter loom, but you can easily adapt it to other looms.

Brim: To make the bring I cast on 14 rows in an e-wrap stitch. Watch this video on how to e-wrap if you are new to loom knitting. After you have 14 rows, bring the loops from the first row back on the loom and cast over the 14th row over the top of the first row, this will knit the brim together and create a thick brim.

Body of the Hat: The pattern simple and you just repeat rows of 4 until you have the length you want. Leave space to just e-wrap 3-4 rows at the end. For me this meant I did the patterns of 4 rows, 5 times.

Pattern 1: Knit 4, Purl 4 (watch this short video if you need to know how to purl) keep with this pattern until you have gone all the way around the loom
Pattern 2: Purl 4, Knit 4
Continue repeating these patterns until you have achieved the desired length

I used stitch markers to mark every 4 pegs so that I didn't need to keep track of counting.

Also, the loom I used for this one was the yellow knifty knitter loom with 41 pegs. If you do the match you realize I have an extra peg, so my last section I made 5. You can't tell that section has an extra stitch.



3 comments:

Erin S said...

I love that hat-great job! It looks very warm!

mryjhnsn said...

I wish I could knit or crochet. That looks so cute!

Uplifting Families said...

I want to learn how to crochet hats. You did a great job. :)